Exercise... Your Drug of Choice, Part I
Exercise... Your Drug of Choice, Part I
By Dan Huff, CSCS
By Dan Huff, CSCS
www.fitnessformation.com
One of the world's most knowledgeable rehabilitation specialists, Paul Check has made the statement that exercise is a drug.
Go ahead and re-read that first sentence. Now what is the first thought that pops into your mind? It's addicting! Isn't it great that you can become addicted to something as demanding as exercise?
Exercise addiction like any addiction is a bad thing. Yes, I Coach Dan Huff, a personal fitness professional said it and you can quote me on it! 'Exercise Addiction Is a Bad Thing!'
Think about any 'good' addiction and you will quickly realize that any addiction is really bad. Addicted to work... means that you spend too much time at the office and not enough time with friends and family. Addicted to friends and family... means that you don't put in the necessary effort at the office. Addicted to health food... means that your friends and family suffer when hey want to socialize with you around the dinner table. Addicted to helping others... means that you don't take the time to help yourself. These are just a few examples of 'good' addiction gone bad and addiction to exercise is exactly the same. You can get so addicted that you lose sight of why you started exercising in the first place and simply exercise for the sake of exercise.
Well, I'll be honest with you, if I were only exercising for the sake of exercising I would have stopped a long time ago. You see, exercise needs to have focus. Why are you doing it? What are you trying to accomplish? Why did you decide to start in the first place? Did you begin with a weight loss goal? Or a performance goal? What happened to that goal? Are you addicted?
Are you simply exercising every day for the sake of exercising every day?
Take a minute right now and pull out a nice clean sheet of paper. On that sheet of paper and write down exactly why you are exercising (or maybe why you need to start). And when I say 'exactly', I mean exactly! Don't write down, 'I want to lose a few pounds.' Or 'I want to tone up.' Or 'I want to get stronger.' Those are nice, but they don't really mean anything in the real world because you will never know when you have achieved them. When have you lost a 'few' pounds? When have you 'toned up'? When are you 'stronger'?
By writing down exactly why you are exercising I mean writing down measurable numbers. 'I want to lose 12 pounds.' 'I want to fit into a size 6.' 'I want to increase my strength by 25%.' These are all goals that have a well defined end so that you know you have achieved what you set out to accomplish.
Now you are no longer exercising because of addiction, you are exercising because you are working your way toward a pre-determined goal!
One of the world's most knowledgeable rehabilitation specialists, Paul Check has made the statement that exercise is a drug.
Go ahead and re-read that first sentence. Now what is the first thought that pops into your mind? It's addicting! Isn't it great that you can become addicted to something as demanding as exercise?
Exercise addiction like any addiction is a bad thing. Yes, I Coach Dan Huff, a personal fitness professional said it and you can quote me on it! 'Exercise Addiction Is a Bad Thing!'
Think about any 'good' addiction and you will quickly realize that any addiction is really bad. Addicted to work... means that you spend too much time at the office and not enough time with friends and family. Addicted to friends and family... means that you don't put in the necessary effort at the office. Addicted to health food... means that your friends and family suffer when hey want to socialize with you around the dinner table. Addicted to helping others... means that you don't take the time to help yourself. These are just a few examples of 'good' addiction gone bad and addiction to exercise is exactly the same. You can get so addicted that you lose sight of why you started exercising in the first place and simply exercise for the sake of exercise.
Well, I'll be honest with you, if I were only exercising for the sake of exercising I would have stopped a long time ago. You see, exercise needs to have focus. Why are you doing it? What are you trying to accomplish? Why did you decide to start in the first place? Did you begin with a weight loss goal? Or a performance goal? What happened to that goal? Are you addicted?
Are you simply exercising every day for the sake of exercising every day?
Take a minute right now and pull out a nice clean sheet of paper. On that sheet of paper and write down exactly why you are exercising (or maybe why you need to start). And when I say 'exactly', I mean exactly! Don't write down, 'I want to lose a few pounds.' Or 'I want to tone up.' Or 'I want to get stronger.' Those are nice, but they don't really mean anything in the real world because you will never know when you have achieved them. When have you lost a 'few' pounds? When have you 'toned up'? When are you 'stronger'?
By writing down exactly why you are exercising I mean writing down measurable numbers. 'I want to lose 12 pounds.' 'I want to fit into a size 6.' 'I want to increase my strength by 25%.' These are all goals that have a well defined end so that you know you have achieved what you set out to accomplish.
Now you are no longer exercising because of addiction, you are exercising because you are working your way toward a pre-determined goal!
====================================
If you haven't yet set up your initial consultation with Huff Training, llc, what are you waiting for?
====================================
Please feel free to forward this onto anyone that you think might be interested. And if a friend forwarded this to you and you would liketo have FitnessFormation.com's Newsletters sent directly to your e-mail inbox simply send a blank e-mailto news@hufftraining.com.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home